shared memory and dynamic pointers

Hello

Does anybody know if there is a open source library which provides dynmic
memory in conjunction with shared memory allocated using shmget/shmat?  I
want to allocate some shared memory and then later dynamically create some
buffers also in shared memory.  It seems that I will have to have an ID and
a shmget/shmat for each time I want to create a buffer.  Is there some
library which allocates a big shared memory buffer and then handles dynamic
allocations from that buffer so these smaller buffers can also be shared
between processes?  One more thing, the processes are seperate processes
and not forked child/parent processes.

Also, what is the deal with shm_open and mmap?  I think these are the posix
equivalent (Or, is that BSD?) to SVR4 shmget and shmat.  On my box, I have
a man page for mmap which refers to shm_open, but I don't have the man page
for shm_open.  I have the include files for shm_open and mmap.

JD