Re: pcmcia

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 01:41:47PM +0200, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running debian 2.2.20 sid on a laptop and I am haveing trouble with
> the pcmcia card. It starts after the nettwork and couses the pc to boot
> without getting an address from dhcp.
> I need to run /etc/init.d/networking restart everytime I have booted up.
> How can I get the pcmcia card to start erlier in the boot?
>
> /ernst

Hi ernst,

I use debian on a laptop as well. My guess is, your ethernet card is a
pcmcia card. Now, you probably have configured eth0 in
/etc/network/interfaces. My advice is: don't. Configure your network in
the pcmcia configuration. That way, eth0 will be configured when pcmcia
starts.

So, first you should remove the part about eth0 in
/etc/network/interfaces.

Next, you should configure the pcmcia networking options to use dhcp. I
don't use dhcp myself, so what follows is an (educated) guess:
In /etc/pcmcia there should be a file network.opts. In there,
there is probably a line saying

DHCP="n"

Change the n to y. Restart pcmcia.

HTH,
Matijs.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs van Zuijlen