Re: ALSA problems

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:29:20 +0200
Alexander Koch <koch@cid.net> wrote:

> I have tried to install kernel 2.5.7 and am trying to use
> ALSA here. I have a Creative Vibra 16C (SB compatible). Now
> way' is here? Should I install the alsa-base or stuff? Do I
> still need alsa-source or any such things?

Isn't that kernel version supposed to come with the Alsa drivers
already? Then I don't think you should install alsa-source. And it
should mean better integration / easier setup, but then, it's an
unstable kernel, you're probably pretty much on your own...

I can't really help you 'cause, although I'm using the Alsa drivers, I'm
not running that kernel version and as such I don't know what might have
changed in the alsa driver installation / configuration process. I'm
also not running devfs.

Perhaps you'd care to consider this ckecklist:

1) Do you have the Alsa portion of modules.conf set up right? (Do you
need to?)

2) In my case there was a little Alsa script I had to run, that created
a whole bunch of entries in /dev. Would that apply to you?

3) Can you run alsamixer (from package alsa-utils), and if so, did you
up the volumes and unmute the channels?

4) Can you see reasonable contents under /proc/asound? And under
/proc/asound/dev?

I wish you luck. Sorry I won't be able to help you further.

--
Carlos Sousa