Re: new installation from /var/cache/apt/archives

I think the simplest solution would be disk imaging software or a backup
program designed for bare-metal recovery. mondo was featured in LJ recently
and there are .deb's available in sid.

It can be done using  package management. See the man page for dpkg.
Specifically the --get-selections option.

Another alternative would be to use apt-move with the sync option to build a
partial mirror  containing only packages you have installed on your "master"
machine and then use that mirror as your only package source for your "clone"
machines.

As always with linux, there is more than one way to do it.

--
Simon Hepburn.