Re: PS/2 mouse erratic in X and more

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 09:43:35PM -0800, Brian W. Carver wrote:
> [snip]
> MY PROBLEM: I got the PS/2 mouse to work in the XFree86 setup by
> choosing dev/psaux instead of dev/mouse, and it worked perfectly during
> THAT setup routine.  BUT, when I now boot into X (man was that an
> accomplishment!) the mouse won't move at all at first and then when I
> try to move it, it is very erratic, jumping all over the screen and
> clicking buttons when I don't click.

This should really be a FAQ by now. I think someone put it somewhere,
but where ;) ? Anyway, my guess is: You have gpm running to use the
mouse in the consoles. If that is the case, you have two options:

1) Disable gpm. This is the easy option. For verbosity's sake, typing

    apt-get remove gpm

as root should do the trick.

2) Make X and gpm cooperate. This is more difficult. Basically, your
/etc/gpm.conf should contain at least these lines:

    device=/dev/psaux
    repeat_type=raw
    type=ps2

There will be some other stuff there as well. The repeat_type line tells
gpm to repeat the data exactly as it gets it. Other programs (i.e., X),
can read that data from /dev/gpmdata. So now you need to change the line
in XF86Config (or XF86Config-4) where it says /dev/psaux to read
/dev/gpmdata. That's it. Restart gpm and X (in that order) and you're
done.

HTH

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs