Re: File permissions on nfs mounted directory (Woody)

    Dave> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 05:20:29PM +0100, Alexis Kotte
    Dave> wrote:
    >> movemail: Permission denied for /var/mail/kotte

    Dave> What does `ls -l /var/mail/kotte` show as the file's owner?
    Dave> File permissions across NFS only work if your UID is the
    Dave> same on both machines or you run an additional daemon (whose
    Dave> name escapes me) to handle mapping the client's UID to the
    Dave> server's.

ls -l /var/mail/kotte
-rw-rw----    1 kotte    mail          726 Mar 20 08:25 /var/mail/kotte

    Rich> ugidd is the daemon IIRC.

Installed it, but it doesn't change anything?

    Rich> I'm surpried it works as root... must have no-root-squash
    Rich> set.

I don't get that either.

I forgot to mention we use NFS/NIS, the server runs potato (kernel
2.2.13) and my woody box runs kernel 2.4.18.

The only way to get hold of this mail is by copying this file into my
home-dir and flush using something like
'dd if=/dev/null of=/var/mail/kotte bs=1 count=0'

Cheers,

Alexis Kotte