Re: How to install a new kernel when your / partition is neary f

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
I have /usr, /var, /home etc mounted on different partitions. One obvious way
would be to shrink other partitions and grow /, but I don't want to do that,
at least not yet before taking a look at other (better) options.

Therefore, I am just wondering whether there is any suggestion as to doing it
*elegantly*.

if /usr, var and home are on separate partitions, why is a 100mb / not
sufficient?

That's what I really want to find out :-). A couple of years ago, even a 50 Mb / partition seemed OK. IIRC, with debian 1.3 it was just a 3 or 4 floppy install.

From what I gather, when you install a new kernel image using apt-get, the old one is kept (which is a sensible decision) and present-day kernels (plus the modules etc) take up quite a lot of space after unpacking and I have to install the pcmcia modules at the same time as well. I'm not my linux box now so I cannot provide more factual information at the current moment.

Good day,
ST