Acroread not displaying menu text

Hello

I am experiencing a problem with acroread (Acobat reader)v.4.05-5 on
what I believe is a typical Debian GNU/Linux 3 (Woody/Testing) system
running on a Compaq Professional Workstation 5000 (P-Pro SMP).

Acroread does not display any menu text at all (just gray line boxes
where the text should be) and when it is started from an xterm the
following error message is displayed:

Warning: charset of fontList (ISO10646-1) does not match locale
(ISO8859-1).

I suspect this has come about because recently I had to change the
user and root locales to ISO8859-1 (using dpkg-reconfigure locales)to
enable recent releases of multi-gnome-terminal (currently v1.3.13) to
run on my system.

Reluctantly (because ISO8859-1 seems to be ideal for a UK based Debian
box) I tried to set both the user and root locales to ISO10646-1. But
this option is not available using dpkg-reconfigure locales. My system
does have the following relevant looking file:

/usr/share/i18n/charmaps/ISO_10646.gz

But so far I have been unable to discover if it can be used to change
the locales.

I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to sort this problem
out, since I need to use acroread to read work related docs.

James

James Aitken
W: +44 (0) 20 8547 0470
H: +44 (0) 1322 404582