Re: Installation from base image -- configuration required?

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> The question (I *said* there was a question) -- what particular steps
> are required for configuring a base Debian installation.  Best I can
> recall, the Debian install basically looks for:
>
>   - keyboard
>   - language
>   - time zone
>   - networking (this appears to be in the ipupdown package)
>
> ...and a few minor details such as partitioning (which I prefer doing in
> advance anyway).  In all, not much that can't be done by hand,
> particularly by someone who's been down the road before.

Just run base-config. You might want to touch /root/debootstrap_settings
first, which it uses to figure out if this is a fresh install or not.
Either way it takes care of the entire post-reboot configuration (which
does not include networking, partitioning, or language; those are done
by dbootstrap).

> The option of slapping a base image onto a partitioned disk and
> installing it by hand seems almost preferable (and in some cases,
> unavoidable).  The Debian installer itself is dbootstrap, but doesn's
> appear to be readily available outside the installation system itself --
> I couldn't find it lurking elsewhere in Debian, or pull anything called
> 'dbootstrap' from any of the install disks at my disposal.  Or am I
> missing something obvious?

It's in the boot-floppies source package, but it is not designed to work
outside of the boot floppies environment (although I've done it, on a
running system even).

You can use debootstrap (note the 'e') to build a debian system in a
chroot, from any linux system that has a posix shell, wget, and a few
other basic tools (all in busybox) available.

--
see shy jo