Re: Where can I get JetAdmin for Linux?

El Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 04:15:10PM -0600, Gary L. Dolan escribió:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 04:48:30PM -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> > No, JetAdmin and CUPS/lp* do very different things.  Among other things,
> > JetAdmin and friends can communicate via SNMP to a networked printer,
> > allowing you to do fun things like reboot it or query paper status and
> > things like that.  CUPS/lp* only handle local queue stuff.  They don't
> > do much talking to printers beyond sending jobs to them.
> >
> I hate to leap in here, but I have been just looking at a similar
> problem. The basic setup: old standalone NT box, using LaserJet 8000 DN
> printer. JetDirect software, and the card, were installed but never
> used. New debian box (have to share with W2000) connected to LAN. Is
> there any way to use the debian box to (a) feed print jobs to the 8000,
> and (b) monitor print status, queue, etc., thru JetAdmin and
> JetDirect? The 8000 has to remain with the old NT box as the basic
> setup, but it seems a shame to waste it's rather significant potential.
> I have looked around for some linux JetAdmin stuff, found nothing.
> I have a second card in the new box that I tried connecting to the
> JetDirect card, to see what I could do, but so far no luck.
> Perhaps even tho there is no JetAdmin stuff available for linux, are
> there other possible ways of controlling this big dog of a printer
> thru the debian box? I suspect that the original poster is in somewhat
> the same situation, wondering what to do next? Thanks for any decent
> suggestions.

 Long time ago I used some tools to setup a JetDirect printer under
linux, I promise you that it could be done :), moreover cups support
JetDirect printers, but I don't know if they have to been setup before
or cups setup them.
 BTW looking for jetadmin at fm.net show up 2 projects that seems to
support it, ones from HP and other that also support snmp printers, so
maybe they will be usefull for you.

 Also making a search on google for "jetadmin linux" show this on the
first position:

 Downloads and Drivers for hp web jetadmin software for ...hp web
jetadmin software drivers and downloads for American English. ...
Microsoft Windows
2000, Linux - Red Hat 7.1. Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Linux - SuSE
Linux      7.1. ...
www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/hpwebjetad1880_swen.html - 49k -
Cached -    Similar pages

 So ... I think that HP had tools for jetadmin on linux.

 Have fun!

--
  // Raúl A. Betancort Santana    /> A Dream is an answer to      __   \\