Re: debian-friendly DSL/cable ISP in NYC area?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Adam Majer wrote:

> Yes they do, _but_ it's not trully static and if you want trully static you need
> to play $60 for biz cable and $20 for static - that about US$50/mo.

The point is it won't be changing often enough for it to not count as
static, unless you live in Illinois or the SFBA.  But all networks in
both those markets suck, it's just which one sucks more.  (From what I
can tell it seems to be either mislegislation or mismanagement on most
networks in Illinois and impatient suits[1] hogging all the bandwidth in
SFBA).

> Cable is usually on DHCP.

Yup.  And from what I hear, RoadRunner's on PPPoE in many (most?)
markets.

> I thought it would be PAP? At least around here.

I guess it varies from market to market.  My server is set up to handle
all three...

[1] I am starting to doubt if there's anybody but suits in the bay area,
from the people that make it to Portland I meet, my trip to Redwood City
and my experiance taking tech support calls, this seems unlikely that
anything other than suits exists in the bay area and the Valley.  If
there is life beyond the suit there, they carefully hide any sign of
it...  8:o)

--
Baloo