Re: Pentium 4 Processors & 2.2.20 Kernel

On Monday 14 January 2002 07:13 am, Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi Karl!
>
> Thanks for your quick reply!
>
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > [...]
> > Yep. I guess that you ask because it mentions i386. This i386 refers to
> > the *architecture* i386 (i.e. to the i386 processor and its offspawn).
>
> Ok, but what option do I have to select in the menu entry "Processor type
> and features"? ("386" is probably a safe bet, but in this case I think I
> don't get any optimizations specific to a Pentium 4).
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Holger

i've actually found "pentium" to still be the safest bet, even on amd
machines, and the optimization for any particular cpu is rarely reliable,
anyway. for quite a while, "pentium" sucked and 386 was the only reliable
option. selecting the newest cpu variant in kernel compilation is a lot like
using debian unstable--there will be bugginess to contend with--except that
in the case of a buggy kernel, you really need a good reason to put your
system at risk for the kind of trouble you can get. i'd give the "pentium 4"
option at least another six months before risking the loss of any critical
data to it.