Strange problem with modem when computer is "off"

Hello all,

Several months back, I did a system upgrade to Debian 2.2r3 using apt-get.  A few minor glitches and some things were broken, but I managed to fix or work around all of them.  There is one outstanding problem though that baffles me to no end.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why after my system goes for shutdown or reboot, my modem tries to connect to the phone line when the power management finally switches off the computer.

When I reboot/turn on the computer, the modem drops the connection while linux loads into the system (after LILO takes control).  Then, everything is normal again.  It's gotten to the point that when I power down my computer and turn it off, I have to unplug the phone line to my modem so people can call me.  Quite ridiculous if you ask me.

Any ideas about what I can check, etc.?  Again, I didn't have this problem until I upgraded Debian.

Sincerely,

Terry

inboard@mail.com

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup