Re: Strange Sound problem.....

Hi:-)

Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net> writes:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:22:14 +0100, Josef Oswald <oswald@chello.at> wrote:
>

>> Hi:-)
>>
>> this is the situation:
>>
>> Soundblaster Live5.1 the driver is compiled into the Kernel, (version
>> 2.5.0)
>>
>> XMM and the gnome-Cd-player do work fine
>>
>> yet some other program's don't
>>
>> cat /usr/share/sounds/login.wav > /dev/audio only produces some
>> strange noise.... other sound-program's don't work also
>
> Well, I believe that's correct behavior.  Try "play <file>".  I don't
> think /dev/audio "understands" wav files directly.

"play <file.wav>" did /does work here also

cat file.au /dev/audio worked too

The funny part is that "cat /usr/share/sounds/login.wav > /dev/audio"

was in a Debian-User-guide I found on the net :-/

so the problem most likely lies with the program's I want to use:
audacity ( seems to be badly broken can't even save a test-file)
and with Slab ( here I don't have microMixer used to choose the input
source like CD-Rom, Line, and the like.....

so I need to figure out what is happening there :-/

> A common source of sound problems is having one of these sound daemons
> lock up the sound device.  This will give the peculiar behavior where
> some programs can play audio files, and others can't.  The first
> succeed, because they play the files through the audio daemon, rather
> than directly through the device.
>
> Esd has an option that can be specified to release the sound device(s)
> after so many seconds (esd -as <SECS>). I imagine the KDE sound server
> has a similar option...?

I use Gnome at the Moment

thanks for responding :-)

--