Re: list all packages that are installed

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 02:09:59PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > 'COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l > foo'
> >
> > radical.  thanks.
> >
> > Doing that without a semicolon would *never* have occurred to me.
>
> It's a shell trick.
>
> You can set an environment variable for the _current process_ by
> specifying it first on the command line.  I usually exploit it to get a
> date/time for some other location, e.g.:
>
>     $ TZ=Australia/Sydney date
>     $ TZ=UK/London date

If you're really desperate, check out the 'env' command; you can set up
an environment that's completely unlike the one in which it was
invoked.  We have some build tools that need serveral environment
variables set, and when I'm working out of different CVS sandboxes env
has been a lifesaver for me :)  It's also great when testing scripts
that make use of environment vars, especially if they test to see
whether one is set or not.

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.