Re: X Configuration in Woody

On 01/12/02 09:47:56 -0600, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> I have been on the same "learning curve" as you jsut a short while ago.
>  I recall somewhere that the "preferred" method of creating the
> /etc/Xll/XF86Config-4 file IN DEBIAN is to use one of the Debian config
> tools.  The only one I have been able to make work here is the
> "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" command, which brings up the debconf
> utility you see when you install Debian.  It seems that Debian is
> constantly improving the debconf utility, and the last time I used it
> for configuring X (about a week ago) it had a few extra questions I had
> not seen before about creating special "debconf-only" sections in the
> resulting XF86Config-4 file.  Anyhoo, here are some recollections from
> my faulty short-term memory that might relate to your resolution "problem".

Hi Donald,

Yes, I went through the Advanced setup using debconf too. I set my
system up to run at 1024x768 @ 16bpp. For some strange reason though,
X is running at a much higher resolution--1400x1050 or something like
that. I've placed my XF86Config-4 file on my web page. It can be
viewed by pointing your browser here:

http://24.5.8.184/XF86Config-4.html

I entered my monitor specifics also. This is really weird. I expect X
to start using 1024x768 and that's it. Why it's selecting the higher
res is beyond me.

Thanks!
--
  Mark Wagnon <mark_wagnon@yahoo.com>