kstars: problem with libpng

Hi,

I've had a problem with incompatible versions of libpng both with Debian
(I'm running a mostly-Woody box) and FreeBSD ... under FreeBSD, the
problem appears in both KStars and KWord (which barely works at all).

Anyhoo, here are the relevant lines of error output from KStars under
Debian. The application opens but there are no GUI icons. I am unsure how
to remedy it.

Has anyone else seen this kind of thing? I've searched high and low
online but can't seem to dig up anything. I feel as though I'm either
asking one of those stupid questions with an obvious answer, or am lost
in something that's never happened to anyone else! :-p

libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.1
libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image

NB libpng3 1.2.1 is mentioned in the dependencies on the app's page on
debian.org ...

Thanks,

Glenn Becker
http://www.burningclown.com