Re: Hardware Question

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 01:52:38PM -0500, Jeff Flowers wrote:
> Does Debian support the SB512PCI? This is the same chipset
> as the SBLive! cards, an EMU. If so, how do you do it.

Yes, the newer Linux kernels come with emu10k1, which is the driver you
need. Get a newer kernel, if you don't already have one, such as 2.4.17
which has been working fine for me. Compile it with sound support:

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_BT878 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1=y
CONFIG_MIDI_EMU10K1=y

Or as a module whatever works for you.

1. Read The Linux Sound Howto or other sound howto documents.

2. Read about compiling your own kernel, if you have not done so before.
   Use kernel-package and the debian method for the kernel compile.

--
Kevin C. Smith           | I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze
smithkevinc@nettaxi.com  | pilots wore helmets. -- Dave Edison