Re: trouble dumping whole filesystem to tape /sbin/dump

on Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 04:56:27PM +1100, James Cameron (cameron@fax.sno.cpqcorp.net) wrote:
> Thedore Knab wrote:
> > /sbin/dump -0ua -f /dev/st0 / -L slash 2>> output.txt
> > /sbin/dump -1a -f /dev/st0 /usr -L usr 2>> output.txt
> > The second comand rewrites over the data I recorded with the first
> > command.
>
> Change the first /dev/st0 to /dev/nst0 perhaps.

Yes.

The difference between /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0:

   /dev/st0 is the *rewinding* tape device.  The tape rewinds on the
   completion of all operations.  You'll overwrite data.

   /dev/nst0 is the *non*-rewinding tape device.  The tape doesn't
   rewind unless explicitly directed to (mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind).

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org