X with nVidia GeForce2 MX (was Re: Re[2]: X )

I tried setting it as a "global" variable, which
didn't work;
Then I tried editing the Makefile even though it said
i was a generated file - that didn't work as the edits
are removed;
Finaly I tried editing on the rules debian/file - no
luck either :-(

Is there a way to install the older (?) compiler
nvidia used to get around this ?

Thanks for all the help so far... I'm affraid I'm
having some starting probs with debian....