Re: hdparm, cdrom, and retaining params

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya bill

Hey Alvin!

> > On one Dell machine (Demension XPS T450 PIII) that has a very new CD-ROM
> > (see below) I have to use -d1 -c1 -X34 -u1.
>
> there is no "reason" you "have to use" those options

That's my poor choice of words.  That's just what I used.

> -d1  says turn on dma... you can use it or not.. non-critical
> -c1  enable 32bit io support ( default is 16bit ) .. non-critical
> -X34  is old style multiwod dma2 .. non critical as long as you are NOT
>       going faster than the rated dma speed of the drive
> -u1  allow the cpu to do other stuff while waiting for the "disk
> 	seeks/etc" .. non-critical..

I think it was the -u1 that fixed my problem of the system clock falling
way behind while ripping or burning a CD.  For a 4 minute burn the clock
would be almost a minute behind when done.

> > And my config has:
> >
> >           --- IDE chipset support/bugfixes
> >
> >           [*]   Generic PCI IDE chipset support
> >           [*]     Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
> >           [*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
> >           [*]       Use PCI DMA by default when available
> >           [*]     Intel PIIXn chipsets support
> >           [*]       PIIXn Tuning support
>
> and what chip set does the dell have for itd ide controller
> 	- those bug fixes need to be turned on too

You mean other than the lspci output I posted?

  00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

And I think I've got everything enabled in the kernel config that
mentionds PIIXn.

> > # hdparm -i /dev/hdc
> >
> > /dev/hdc:
> >
> >  Model=PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A, FwRev=1.00, SerialNo=029043
> >  Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
> >  RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
> >  BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
> >  (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
> >  IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:180,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
> >  PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
> >  DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
>
> good...
>         - should tell you what its dma/pio capabilities are
>         ( the *  marks the current dma xfer speed )
>
> 	- you are already running  multiword dma2  ( -X34 )
> 	- but why bother ???
>
> 	you should be using udma2 ( -X64 ) instead ... faster/better

Ok, I'll give that a try.  man hdparm said for -X64 I'd need to prepare
the chipset for UltraDMA beforehand, so I'm not sure what the means.  Is
that just selecting PIIXn support in the kernel config?  It also says that
-X parameter is normally not needed on modern drives (I think a drive that
can burn at 48x is modern ;).

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org