Re: SCSI emulation for IDE CD-writer

Steve Doerr <sdoerr@swbell.net> [2002-12-28 14:27:14 -0600]:
> I just installed and burned a cd per the cd writing howto, but now I
> can't find what to mount to read it.
>
> It's not at scd0 or scsi0 and I'm not sure how to find it.

Run

  cdrecord -scanbus

And post the output of that command.

> append="hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

Since you had this in your lilo.conf it would seem to me that your cd
would either be at /dev/scd1 or /dev/scd3 and could not be elsewhere.
Since you tried /dev/scd1 try /dev/scd3 next.

> Does anyone know how to find it or see anything wrong with how I set
> this up?

Here are my instructions for setting up a CD-RW drive on Debian.
Perhaps they will help.  This sets up a very particular configuration.
You will have to adapt it for your installation.

Bob

Setting up a CD-RW drive

I am going to assume that the CD-ROM is on a master IDE device and
that the CD-RW is a slave IDE device on the same cable since that is a
typical configuration.  In order to use the CD writer it must appear
as a SCSI device.  In that case you might as well treat both of the
devices as SCSI for consistency.

First you need the kernel to load the ide-scsi module at boot
time.  Put the name of that driver in /etc/modules.

In /etc/modules place the following:

  ide-scsi

The ide-scsi module can only adapt an IDE device to a SCSI if it has
not already been grabbed by the normal IDE layer.  Therefore the
kernel must be instructed to load the ide-scsi driver for these
devices at boot time such that the ide-scsi driver will be loaded
first.

In /etc/lilo.conf place the following:

  append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

The hdc device is your master device which I am assuming will be your
CD-ROM device.  The hdd device is your slave device which I am
assuming will be your CD-RW device.

Test your configuration using cdrecord -scanbus.  It should be able to
see your CD devices.

  cdrecord -scanbus

At this point things are configured for the kernel to handle the
devices correctly as SCSI devices.  Now we set up the rest of the
system to know about these.  Typically on Linux systems the device is
aliased as a symlink in /dev.  Remove any previous aliases.  Create
new aliases for the new devices.

  rm -f /dev/cdrom
  ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
  rm -f /dev/cdrw
  ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrw

Create mount points for these devices.  These could go anywhere on
your filesystem.  Typically they will be mounted in / as /cdrom and
/cdrw.  However another common convention is to mount these under /mnt
as /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrw.  For now I will go with the Debian
default and show them in /cdrom and /cdrw.

  mkdir -p /cdrom /cdrw

Configure those device nodes and mount points in your filesystem table
so that they can be easily mounted.  The configuration shown here
allows any user to mount and unmount these devices as themself and
root capability is not needed.

In /etc/fstab place the following:

  /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
  /dev/cdrw  /cdrw  iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

All done!