Re: Strange behavior with APT::Default-Release

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 10:39:32PM +0100, Hans Fuchs wrote:
>Hi
>
>I have a strange behavior when I start using APT::Default-Release. It
>suddenly whats to install packages while the apt-get upgrade process. But
>it should not install any since the release hasn't changed because default
>is still "testing".

don't believe what it says in apt.conf(5) and apt_preferences(5). I
tried to configure apt to not install testing or unstable packages without
explicitly telling it to do so. I included those archives in my sources.list
and set the following in my config files.

# cat  /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "stable";
# cat  /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin Priority: -1

but when I apt-get an unstable package it installs it without
hesitation. I was expecting that to happen only if I specified, for
example

  apt-get install iptraf/unstable

So an apt bug report needs submission. but I'm new to Debian and apt so I haven't
done it until I've done more research, don't know much more than above.

To answer your question with my problem. It looks as if apt is upgrading
and satisfying dependencies according to versions it finds in unstable.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org