Re: xterm starts with LINES=24 s/b 25

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 23:35, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> Hi all - Happy Holidays.
>
> Where will I find a default setting for xterm such that it starts with
> 80 columns and 25 rows/lines?  I couldn't find anything in
> /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/Xterm on it.  I could set it up with the right
> geometry in my window manager (IceWM) but there must be a better way,
> right?  I put the following
> XTerm*Geometry 80x25
> in my .Xdefaults and it works, but I would actually prefer not to use
> Xdefaults b/c (well b/c I am lazy and dont feel like learning it, and it
> just seems like another config file to get hazy in my memory over time).
> So is there a system-wide way to set this, can I add the same entry to
> the /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm file as I did to my .Xdefaults ?
>
> Thank you for any help,
>
> Shawn
>
> --
> Shawn Lamson
> shawn.lamson@verizon.net
> Debian GNU/Linux 3.0

PC screens were designed to add a non-standard 25th line to the
traditional 80x24 format, reportedly for the idea that users running
terminal programs could see the full 24 lines of the terminal screen as
well as having a spare line at the bottom for messages from the terminal
software and the host system. XTerms stick to the standard computer
terminal geometry - to hard-change that, you'd need to burrow into the
source (I presume a header file with such constants) - otherwise if you
feel that you must use the non-standard 25th line, that is what
.Xdefaults is for, as well as /etc/X11/Xresources/ - while most ncurses
applications I've seen now work with whatever screen size they get, you
may find some that will stick you with a bad line or confused scrolling
because they expect strictly 80x24 (although that is thankfully getting
quite rare, what with users of SVGATextMode and of framebuffer.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org