Re: compiling a new kernel

Bruce Park, 2002-Dec-23 21:33 -0500:
> Hello debian users,
>
> I'm currently using the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel and I would like to use a new
> kernel so that I can have access to my ms sidewinder joystick.
> Since I'm new to kernel compiling, I was wondering if anyone can give me
> some pointers on this. For example, I don't even know what new kernel to
> choose. The current kernel that I have on my system was chosen for it's
> ability with USB devices. I noticed the other flavors didn't have such a
> good choice when loading the device modules during installation.
> Anyhow, any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

I can only layout the way I've been doing it.  I use kernel-package,
which is the debian way of compiling a kernel and including it in the
package system.  However, I use the kernel source from www.kernel.org
as opposed to the the packaged source.  I don't know what the
difference is, if any.

High-level processes and Notes:
1.  get the kernel source, either packaged or from kernel.org, 2.4.20
    is the latest stable source
2.  install kernel-package along with libncurses5-dev and any
    dependancies
3.  read the kernel-package doc to understand the process in detail:
    /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz
4.  start with the current kernel's config...copy
    /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 to /usr/src/linux, then when you make
    menuconfig/xconfig, load the config and start there.  this way
    you'll be starting with a known good config and can add additional
    stuff and strip out unnecessary stuff
5.  compile, install and reboot and described in the kernel-package
    doc

have fun,
jc

--