Re: How do I allow other users access to X display under kdm?

On Tuesday 24 December 2002 00:59, David Marsh wrote:
> I'm running the kdm login manager under KDE 3.0.3 ("unofficial" .debs)
> on my 'sarge' system.
>
> When I installed kdm it noted that it locked down all kinds of settings
> in order to improve system security, but didn't explain how I could
> change these.. ;-(
>

> The kdm configuration files appear to be in /etc/kde3/kdm/
>
> I would like to be able to setup kdm and/or the X server to allow me to
> open X applications when su'ed as root.
>
> As you would expect, I normally login to an X session as myself
> (although I would guess that kdm starts the X server as root or some
> other privileged user during the startup sequence?), and su to root in a
> terminal window when I need to do things as root.
>
> Sometimes when I am root I need to open an X application (eg, an
> installer for a 3rd-party application), but because kdm has locked
> things down, it won't let me connect to the server as root.
>

> Could anybody advise what configuration files I would need to change,
> and how, in order to let me do this?
>
> I'm afraid that the files in /etc/kde3/kdm/ appear quite baffling to me!

I have the same situation here. By adding "xhost +" to my normal user's
~.bachrc and then adding "export DISPLAY=:0.0" to /etc/bash.bashrc I was able
to overcome this problem. But i am sure this is not the best way to to this.
better methods are welcomed.

PS: now that we are here, though others will disagree, but as a desktop user i
sometimes beieve that debian is too secure, to the point that it is useless
for average user.

cheers
aryan