win 98 crash, damage to debian KDE taskbar ?

I had a problem, my windows 98SE crashed badly, no supprise there, and seemed
to corrupt debian on the next partition. I didn't think windows could access
any other partitions ....?

I had to manually fsck the drive where it cleared a inode.

Am i right, this has deleted a file ???

Anyhow since then the 'window' on my taskbar where all the minimised programs
go has disappeared. IE if i minimise a window I cant access it !!!

I have checked preferences/settings/appletts
I got to admit this menu is confusing,

Any ideas how to get my taskbar window back so I can un-minimise applications
+ how do I add remove applets, the menu seems to do nothing ?

Many thanks
dave