Re: ntpdate from cron -- DON'T DO THAT!

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 19:50:39 -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Vincent writes:
> > This is what is used on the machines at my lab, but the daemon sometimes
> > dies.
>
> Shouldn't happen.  Have you filed a bug report?

I'm not the administrator of the machines at my lab, so I couldn't
report any useful information.

Moreover, ntpd doesn't seem to set the hardware clock, as when the
machine is rebooted while the NTP servers are down, it is one hour
late (or something like that). Or perhaps the version was too old
(my machine at my lab was reinstalled a few days ago).

> > So, I wouldn't say that this is a good solution, unless there is a
> > way to restart ntpd automatically (by cron?) when it dies.
>
> man inittab

OK.

> Or try chrony :)

Does it set the hardware clock?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International