Re: sync root passwords?

hi ya mike

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Mike Egglestone wrote:

> Quoting Rich Puhek <rpuhek@etnsystems.com>:
>
> > Hopefully, you're using ssh on all your machines. If so (and if you're
> > set up to use public keys for authentication, instead of passwords) you
> > could do something like:
> >
> > #/bin/sh
> >
> > servers="server1 server2 server3 server4";
> >
> > for server in $servers; do
> >     ssh $server passwd root $1;
> > done;
> >
> > which would ssh into every server in the list $servers, and change the
> > root password to the given arguement.
>
> Hi,
> I'm not sure if I understand the passwd command properly.
> What is the purpose of the $1 in the above script?

assume that script is called  /root/pwd.sh

root#  /root/pwd.sh  "newpasswd is here"

and it should be updating it to server1, server2, server3..
	- break into machine xx  and you have access to server1...4

and ...  you now have the passwd in clear text in  ~/.bash_history
	- dont forget to erase it

-- i prefer ... pull... vs pushing files around...

   on each client... i pull down any new changes via cron

	if ( master:/etc/shadow changed )
	  scp Master:/etc/passwd.client /etc/shadow
	  - or -
 	  scp /net/Master/etc/passwd.client /etc/shadow
	fi

   you're job is to make sure the files to be pulled/pushed
   is 100% correct

   and to check if all passwds are in sync

	grep userA /n/all_PCs/etc/shadow | cut -d : -f 3
	#
	# the resulting data should all be identical pwd for users
	#

c ya
alvin