Re: config X under woody -- SOLVED... and yet...

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:44:59PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:25:01PM +0900, Nick Hastings wrote:
> > Hi Will,
> >
> > * will trillich <will@serensoft.com> [021212 07:42]:
> > > QUESTION: how do i find out what selections apply to my hardware
> > > so that i can get the highest resolution possible? scan rate and
> > > refresh seem to be the kickers.
> >
> > Look in the documentation that came with your hardware. If you don't
> > have any documentation then google for your hardware specs.
>
> My monitor has NOTHING on the outside of the case to indicate what
> model it is, so I would not be able to do this. All there is is the
> single word "PROJECT". Windoze 98 interrogates its plug & play data
> and identifies it as an ADI MS-5P+. I have since seen a non-rebranded
> ADI MS-5P+ and indeed it looks identical.
>
> It would be useful to pure Linux users - possibly including the OP -
> if there was some Linux tool that did this, so xf86config et al. could
> say "Your monitor appears to be an ADI MS-5P+, accept/change" or
> something like that, combined of course with a file listing many
> different monitors' capabilities.

OP here -- YES, that would be SMASHING.

so far i'm looking at 800x600 but many dialogs (gnome panel,
galeon prefs, etc) all appear to be designed for 79310x812310
pixels instead. good thing i've got the virtual desktop thing
working so i can get to the "ok" and "cancel" buttons.

:( !!

or is there a way to shrink the fonts system-wide? (when
gnome-panel starts up with sawfish, the font is delightfully
small -- then BOOM, everything is huge when looking at actual
app windows...)

hmm?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #110 from Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu>
:
Here's how to TUNNEL SECURE X11 CONNECTIONS THROUGH SSH: on the
client, do this:
	local-client# export DISPLAY=:0.0
	local-client# ssh -X server
then once you're logged in at the server, do:
	remote-server# netscape &
The environment created at the server will include the DISPLAY
variable, so netscape (or whatever) will dialogue with the
client machine. (See "man ssh" for more.)