Re: newbie: startup files under bash...

alan brown wrote:
My reading has told me that when I start up a new bash shell /etc/profile and /etc/bash.bashrc are run. And then ~/.profile and ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile are run

So I’m trying to set the PATH environment variable to include my java bin directory. So I created a .profile file in my home directory (one didn’t exist before) and simply put in the line…

export PATH=$PATH:/home/myhome/javahome/bin

However, when I started up a new shell and ran ‘echo $PATH’ it didn’t take effect.

Make sure there's no local startup being read before ~/.profile.
Mark .profile as executeable.