Re: enabling apm on laptop

On 2002.12.09 12:12 Simon Tod wrote:

Bit of a simple newbie question I fear......

I've got Woody up and running on my laptop but must have missed
something during installation as I don't have APM enabled in the
kernel; I tried to get a GNOME battery monitor applet running without
success, and the machine just hangs at 'Power Down' after I've
shutdown. How do I reconfigure the kernel to fix this?

Thanks in advance...

You need to load the APM module. Add the line:

apm

to your /etc/modules file. Or, if your laptop has ACPI, enable those modules instead. Also, to avoid rebooting, you can also load APM immediately as root with the command:

modprobe apm

HTH. :)

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@telocity.com>