Re: where is my java?

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 03:56:19PM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On 2002.12.03 15:30 Rick Pasotto wrote:
> >I can compile and run java programs from the command line (java and
> >javac are both in /usr/bin) in addition to running applets in mozilla
> >but when I tried to install openoffice.org it said there was no java
> >environment.
> >
> >Sometime in the past I must have installed java somehow. Where should
> >look for my java environment? Is there a debian package that will
> >install it where openoffice.org can find it? Where should it be?
> >
> >(Running debian testing.)
>
> Hey, dude! Check in your /usr/lib/j2se directory (if you have it). Did
> you install the Blackdown JDK or are you running one of the other Javas?

OK, evidently I've got an old java since all I have in /usr/lib is
jdk1.1.

My apt/sources line is:

deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian
testing non-free

When I try to install j2sdk1.3 I get:

  j2sdk1.3: Depends: j2re1.3 (= 1.3.1.02b-2) but it is not going to be installed

When I try to install j2re1.3 I get:

  j2re1.3: Depends: j2se-common (> 1) but it is not installable

since:

E: Package j2se-common has no installation candidate

What do I do now?

--
"[Government's] great contribution to human wisdom...is the discovery
that the taxpayer has more than one pocket." --- H. L. Mencken