Re: ISDN Config - Default Gateway

Gary Ross wrote:

 Hello Debian users,

After using first Slackware and then SuSE, I am now eagerly trying Debian. As I have several years experience as a Solaris system programmer/administrator, I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I cannot get a working ISDN connection via my German T-Online ISP with the debian system. The connection performs flawlessly on my SuSE system so I can't blame Deutsche Telecom. I would very much appreciate any help anyone can provide me to get me headed in the right direction. The ability to precisely tailor a system and then keep it updated <on the fly> is my goal which I believe Debian will support while SuSE has not.

I have spent several hours configuring the HiSax HFC-PCI card and editing the scripts in /etc/isdn especially device.ippp0 and ipppd.ippp0 where I uncommented the defaultroute option. The scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d and /etc/ppp/ip-down.d were also carefully examined.

The result is a connection with isdnctrl to the T-Online ISP. The nameserver IPs are properly set in the dynamic resolve.conf so can ping www.debian.org with no packet loss. When I attempt to connect with Mozzilla it reports a connection is made to www.debian.org. However, after a minute or so Mozilla reports that the connection was not accepted. Furthermore, isdnctrl and /var/log/isdn shows that the connection was hung up.

The output from ifconfig -a is comparable to a SuSE connection but netstat -r shows that the SuSE connection sets the default gateway to the remote IP address provided by T-Online while the debian connection routing table shows no gatewate setup for default even though the destination host is properly set.

Therefore, I suspect that my debian ISDN configuration is not setting the default gateway. I need someone's advice on where this is accomplished and what mistake I have made.

Thanks for considering my problem. I'm hoping for your assistance. In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Hi there, me again,

I've gotten no response for my rather verbose plea for help. Hasn't anybody worked with ISDN or am I the only one to cock it up???

In the meantime, I've checked to make sure the dynamic IP process using DHCP is working. dhclient is enabled with the ap_packet module. The ip-up script is receiving the local and remote IP addresses from the ISP and the nameserver addresses are also being fetched. I hacked the 00-ipppd script and netstat -r now shows the remote IP address as the the default gateway.

Now everything seems to match the working connection on the SuSE system. However, I cannot connect to the www.debian.org site with Mozzilla even though I can ping it fine.

I've sort of reached the end of the line here. Once again I'm asking for assistance. Obviously if I can't get the ISP connection working I'll be stuck as a SuSE user.