RE: Howto add a crontab job ?

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 07:26, deb@cercy.net wrote:
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > Thanks. man crontab doesn't tell me what the syntax is for a "every 5
> > minute"
> > job though, and that's what I need. Any other ideas ?
[...]
> Do a man on crontab

I'm coming in late on this thread, so apologies if this has already been
suggested.

Specifically, to get the proper syntax, you need to 'man 5 crontab'.
For an every 5 minute job, the first thing that comes to mind is this:

00,05,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * <some command or script>

This *might* also work:

*/5 * * * * <command>

I haven't tested either of these, so no promises. :)

Rob