Re: UNIX shells - Bourne and C

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 04:33:19PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> anything that differs from the real shell. Now, what can I do about the C
> shell and the Korn shell? Are those also not free?

pdksh is a free Korn shell. I've heard that it's not 100% compatible,
but it's close enough that IBM uses it for the scripts they include in
their Linux products. zsh can run in ksh mode (if it's invoked as ksh or
sh it tries to emulate the appropriate shell as closely as possible,
just like bash tries to be a POSIX shell when invoked as sh). The AT&T
ksh is also freely available, though I think it's probably not available
as a Debian package because of the licensing.

I don't think anybody has bothered to reimplement the basic C shell, but
the tcsh documentation does talk about the places where tcsh differs.
Off the top of my head I don't remember if the BSD's use tcsh or have
their own csh, if they have their own it might be usable.

--
Michael Heironimus