Re: Upgrading, getting the package

This one time, at band camp, Laura Rudmin said:
> Laura Rudmin wrote:
>
> (for some reason, though I sent this, it never came back through the
> list server...  I'm trying again).
Got it twice, but that's OK (^:
> It isn't working yet -- I get back "malformed line" when I enter
> deb ftp://download.uk.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.4/Debian/sid
>
> When I try "man sources.list", it seems to imply that I should have the
> ftp pointing at some particular point in the directory structure, but it
> doesn't specify what that point is.
>
> What *should* I be using instead?
>
> - Michael
apt wants a starting point, and a distribution and subset within that
tree:
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

Means go to http://security.debian.org/, look in the stable/updates
directory, and then look in main, contrib, and non-free.

Ordinarily, when the site is set up with a normal hierarchy, the actual
file looked for would be:
http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

apt fills in the /dists/ and binary-$ARCH unless told not to.

So for yours, since the tree structure is a little different than the
normal Debian one, you probably want to amend it to look something like:
deb ftp://download.uk.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.4/Debian/sid ./
at a guess - take a look at their site and see how is organized to be
sure.

HTH,
Steve
--
To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for
you in your private heart is true for all men -- that is genius.