Re: Pwcheck messing up again

Curtis Vaughan said:

> But I looked in /var/run earlier and there was no link. So my symlink
> must have been deleted or something.
>
> It's working again, but I worry that if the server were to reboot due to
> a power outage that it will be down again.

debian cleans /var/run each time the system boots I believe. So, I would
reccomend making a script that creates that link on boot. and/or file
a bug, I use pwcheck_pam (as opposed to pwcheck_standard) which does
not appear to have this problem. I have pwcheck running on many systems
and have never had a problem with needing a link in /var/run .. you
could change to pwcheck_pam by doing update-alternatives --config pwcheck
I think(been a while). Note that pwcheck_pam has a pretty nasty memory
leak. pwcheck_pam is required to use things like NIS, or LDAP for
authentication as opposed to just using /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

glad you found the solution :)

nate