dual boot win2k as boot loader

Hello all I am setting up a dual boot machine for a friend of mine who wants to give Linux a go, he has to 20 gig hard drives hda being where win2k resides, and hdb is broken up to two 10 gig partions. hdb1 being swap hdb3 being / on the first 9gig. The other 10gig is fat32 for storage space in windows. He does not want to lose the win2k boot loader just in case he doesn't like linux, that way he can remove linux with out messing up his MBR on hda. So I installed Debian and told Lilo to go on hdb3 and to write a MBR to hdb then I boot into it with the boot floppy and do a dd if=/devhdb of=/tmp/debian.bin bs=512 count=1 and then I take the .bin file and boot into windows and place it in the c:\ and edit boot.ini accordinly. After that I boot up and select debian and I get a black screen with MBR=FA3 or something along that lines and I can't do anything. So I then tried the same dd statement but used /dev/hdb3 and I get a screen full of 0 and 1's when I try to boot of that bin. Do I need to make a sepreate boot partition on /dev/hdb for Debian and then do the dd statment with the boot partion? I want ot make sure I get it right next time so that he won't give up on Linux. Thanks all.