nfsd CPU usage issue

I use nfs-kernel-server on sid to serve ~50 GB of data to 8 different
mult-user computers. It works remarkably well: I only have ~2 nfs hangs
per year and the file server has currently been up ~60 days. But there is
an issue...

Usually the nfsd processes are quite quiescent throughout the entire day,
using less than 1% of CPU time each. But after many weeks they enter a
mode where they continuously use 3% or more of CPU time constantly, even
when do one is using the systems. This can go on indefinitely, and the
only way to stop it is to restart NFS.

Has anyone else encountered this and can anyone advise on how to fix it?