Re: _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

In case anyone else has this problem - here's the
diagnosis and the solution.
If you use Gnome, Debian's default setup puts:
command=/usr/bin/X11/X -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp
into the config file
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf
The "-nolisten tcp" prevents the X server from listening
to TCP ports, so no machine will ever be able to connect
to this X server over the network. Take that out,
restart, and the problem is solved.

The intention of making -nolisten the default was
presumably to improve security. Nevertheless, this
is a REALLY, REALLY STUPID default. It's hard enough
to get network stuff working on Linux without adding
yet more roadblocks in the way.

Nick