Re: alternative motd and logo?

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 05:15:51PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2002-08-01T20:57:29Z, Paul E Condon <pecondon@quiknet.com> writes:
>
> > Linux is a version of UNIX
>
> That's not correct.  Linux was written to be similar to a Unix system, but
> is *not* a Unix system.  Source?  The first sentence at
> http://www.linux.org/ .
> --
> Kirk Strauser
> The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/

What I see there is:

"Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus
Torvalds with the assistance of ..."

Of course the only *true* UNIX is one invented by Ritchie and Thompson
and reported by them, et al., in The Bell System Technical Journal,
v57 #6 , Jul-Aug 1978. All others are merely 'Unix-type', or, as I said
'version of UNIX'.

I my opinion, UNIX is a class object, there are a small, but
un-countable number of instantiations of this class. The number is
un-countable because of manifest difficulties in reaching a consensus
on what UNIX 'really is'. The first sentence of www.linux.org is a
waffle; it supports your view, *and mine*. Waffles are important to the
smooth functioning of society. I love them. But I don't use them as an
authority.

paul

--
Paul E Condon