Re: box freezes after upgrade to woody

    "Rudy" == Rudy Gevaert <rudy@zeus.rug.ac.be> writes:

    Rudy> Hello, I recently upgraded my pentium1 64 megs to woody
    Rudy> after using potato for over a year.

    Rudy> Suddenly my box freezes when I do some intensive tasks.  E.g
    Rudy> I apt-get installed xemacs yesterday and halfway the install
    Rudy> my box hung.  I then reseted it and run dpgk --configure -a,
    Rudy> that continued the installation.

Well, did you upgrade the kernel? If not, I'd suspect you might have a
hardware problem that is only showing up with the new (slightly more
memory and swap hungry) Woody applications. If you switched to 2.4,
try going back to the potato kernel (it should still be there as the
previous kernel).

Try the hwtools package - it has a memmxtest that some people say is
pretty good at this sort of thing.

Cheers!
Shyamal