Re: Rejig apt Config Now That Woody = stable ?

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Nick wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:11:17 -0400 (EDT), Walter Tautz wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Nick wrote:
> >

> >> I've been using the "pinning" method to ensure I get updates from
> >> testing unless I specify unstable, so I currently have :
> >>
> >> =========================< cut >===========================
> [...]
> >> MYBOX:/etc/apt# cat preferences
> >> Package: *
> >> Pin: release a=testing
> >> Pin-Priority: 900
> >>
> >> Package: *
> >> Pin: release a=unstable
> >> Pin-Priority: 50
> >> =========================< cut >===========================
> >
> >Cool. I've been looking to do something like this.
>
> The preferences file supplies the magic.  With settings like those
> above you can do
>       apt-get install foo
> to get package foo from testing, and
>       apt-get -t unstable install foo

This isn't necessary if the only available version is in unstable, it
appears to only necessary if one wants to install a version of the package
that appears in stable but has older version in stable or testing.
Seems to me if one pins unstable at 50 that even if the only version is
in unstable one should be forced to use -t. Seems more appealing but
would imagine this is in line with pre-apt versions that did not have
pining, namely its looks for the highest version number in all sources.list
entries.

-walter