Re: Messages when startup and shutdown

Q. Gong wrote:

Hi,

I tried to view in detail the messages output when Woody is started up
and shutdown. dmesg only show a part. How can I investigate ALL the
messages? Is there a document describing the startup and shutdown
processes in detail about Woody? Thanks a lot in advance.

Qian

Oh, and to answer your second question. I read a document once years ago describing the startup sequence of Debian, but I can't find it now (I would have thought it'd be in the Documentation link on the Debian home page). But here's the basic story:

The bootloader loads the kernel.

The last thing the kernel does is start the program "init".

Init reads it's configuration file,"/etc/inittab", which defines such things as the default runlevel and how many virtual terminals to start. It also instructs init to run the startup scripts, with a command like "l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2" which runs the script "rc" with the parameter "2" for runlevel 2.

This "rc" script then goes through the appropriate runlevel (and preceding ones, I believe), running all the scripts in the corresponding directory ("/etc/rc2.d" in this case) in numerical order, first running any scripts that start with "K", which will kill processes, and then any scripts starting with "S", which will start processes. Usually one of the last S scripts to run will be something like S99kdm which will start the KDM X session manager. So to stop KDM from starting, you can do any number of things to "break the process"; move/rename/delete the symlink "/etc/rc2.dS99kdm"; move/rename/delete the actual script "/etc/init.d/kdm"; "apt-get remove kdm", edit "/etc/init.d/kdm" so that it has a line "exit 0" as the first executable line in the script, etc. (Note: The scripts in the rcX.d directories are not actually scripts, but are symbolic links pointing back to the actual scripts in "/etc/init.d".)

hth

Kent