Re: Holiday arrangements

On  0, Tom Massey <tom_massey@pacific.net.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 06:44:34PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> > Yes.  I configured it, and the test produces:-.
> >
> > fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
>
> I think the problem here is that you don't have a
> local MTA such as postfix, exim, qmail to handle the
> mail. I think fetchmail needs one running to work.

man fetchmail
       -m <command>, --mda <command>
              (Keyword: mda) You can force mail to be passed to an MDA
	      directly (rather than forwarded  to  port
              25)  with  the -mda or -m option.  To avoid losing mail,
	      use this option only with MDAs like proc-
              mail or sendmail that return a nonzero status on
	      disk-full and other  resource-exhaustion  errors;
              the  nonzero  status  tells  fetchmail  that  delivery
	      failed and prevents the message from being
              deleted off the server.  If fetchmail is running as
	      root, it sets its userid to that of the target
              user  while delivering mail through an MDA.  Some
	      possible MDAs are "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -f %F
              %T", "/usr/bin/deliver" and "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
	      (but the latter is usually redundant as it's
              what  SMTP listeners normally forward to).  Local
	      delivery addresses will be inserted into the MDA
              command wherever you place a %T; the mail message's From
	      address will be inserted where you  place
              an  %F.   Do  not use an MDA invocation like "sendmail
	      -oem -t" that dispatches on the contents of
              To/Cc/Bcc, it will create mail loops and bring the just
	      wrath of many postmasters down  upon  your
              head.

So you can pipe it straight to procmail.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"If your  company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO
9000 then you definitely have no idea what it is."
	- Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au