Holiday arrangements

Two  recent threads (Fernando's full account messages, and difficulties in
unsubscribing) raise the question:

What is the best policy for members of the list who have limited mail
accounts at their ISP and who want to go away on holiday for more than a
few days?

I recently took a short break (4 days) and when I returned I found a
message from my ISP saying my account was 75% full and that I ought to
make some deletions.  Presumably, another few days and the list would have
been receiving Fernando-like messages.

I should appreciate some advice, especially in the light of reported
difficulties in unsubscribing.

- Richard