Re: Load lilo to /dev/hdc

> I've a backup system on debian 2.2 wich mounts a remote linux machine
> via NFS and copies the remote machine system to the local /dev/hdc
> device. After that when I move the copy to /dev/hda the system doesn't
> start (saying os not present).
>
> I guess that I need to reload lilo to /dev/hdc after copy the remote
> system but when I do:
>
> # lilo -r /mnt/system-backup -b /dev/hdc -t
>
> I get:
>
> Ignoring entry 'boot'
> Warning: /dev/hdc is not on the first disk
> Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Added Linux *
>
> And when I reboot the computer Lilo does:
>
> L 07 07 07 07 ... Forever
>
> What I'm doing wrong?

There are two reasons why this can't work:

1) Option -t does test only - doesn't really change anything on disk.

2) Most older bioses won't boot from a disk installed on the secondary IDE
controller. Only the newer ones can boot from any hard disk in the
system. To boot from hdc you need to install lilo on hda or hdb
(hda is preferable) or use a boot diskette.

I'm not quite sure I can guess your aim and configuration, I assume:
* you have a runnng linux with its root filesystem on hda or hdb
* you backup on hdc
* you want to boot the system installed on hdc as well as the 'usual'
  one: hda or hdb-installed; I'll call this filesystem/machine a local one

If this is what you want, you should:
* copy kernel from hdc (your backup) to a local disk,
* add a lilo.conf entry to boot from this kernel and mount backup
filesystem (/dev/hdcx); add also 'optional' keyword; this will allow you
to install lilo even when that 'extra' kernel is removed
* run lilo

An option is to prepare a bootdisk (with dd and rdev - see
manuals); hint: don't forget to format a diskette before 'dd'-ing kernel
there; preparing a bootdisk on a diskette with some files is risky -
sometimes it doesn't boot.

The best option, I believe, is using grub. This will give you full
flexibility: you don't need to reinstall lilo or copy kernel; you can boot
whatever kernel and any filesystem with just a few keystrokes at the boot
time.

Regards,

Adam