Kernel messages on the console (tty)?

I have an irritating problem with kernel messages such as ipchains
hits being displayed on stdout.  I've taken out all the console and
tty entries in /etc/syslog.conf.  I have restarted syslogd.  But I
still get almost all kernel and system messages delivered to whatever
tty I'm currently on.  It makes any kind of work a pain if not
impossible.

Can anyone point me to what is causing this?  I've just upgraded to
Woody and am still running 2.2.19.

Thanks.

--
B. L. Jilek <bljilek@yahoo.com>