Re: naming schemes (was Re: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 released)

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 16:44, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> [2002.07.21.2043 +0200]:
> > Greece is a large town with Lake Ontario on the north and Rochester on
> > the east (in western NY).
>
> No. Greece is a country. Someone may, at one point, have used that
> name to baptise a city, but guess which was there first... ;^>

I think that the bits of geography on the south shore of that
northern lake, and the mountainous region on the northeastern
corner that big ocean have probably existed about the same
amount of time.  SO... which one was there first?

Also, "Greece" is _only_ the _name_ given by the Anglos.  I'd
bet a nickle that those-that-Anglos-call-Greece don't spell or
pronounce it the same as Anglos.  So, I bet that Greece, NY
actually did get there first...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |